Tuesday, December 08, 2009

The Great Barrier Reef

I've never been scuba diving before, but I knew I had to do it for the first time at the Great Barrier Reef - otherwise, I knew it'd be something I would regret missing out on. I'm so glad I did because this ended up being the highlight of my entire trip. Words cannot express how unreal this experience was. At about 7:30am, Tom dropped Allison and I off at the Reef Fleet Terminal where we met the rest of the group at the Ocean Freedom docking area and from here, our boat took us to one of the outermost parts of the reef which was about an hour away.

As we sat on the nose of the boat, we watched the water colors change before our eyes and even though I wasn't in the water yet, I was still amazed (nervous at the same time). We had diving 101 on our way out and learned everything we needed to know to keep us at least somewhat sane for our first 30 minute dive at 50 feet below -- clearing water out of your goggles, popping your ears under water as the air pressure changes and what to do if your mouthpiece comes off.

As we docked (in what looked like the middle of nowhere - surrounded by nothing but water), everyone separated into groups and we were ready to go. Some groups started with a glass bottom boat ride, others started with snorkeling and the rest were getting equipped with their scuba gear.

My group wasn't going for awhile, so I decided to get a feel for it and head out for a snorkel. I've been snorkeling a million times, but this time was different. The water was a depths that I've never swam in, there was marine life in these waters I've never heard of and well, it was starting to make me more nervous about diving. After enjoying the snorkel for awhile, it was our turn to go...





No comments: