Monday, July 19, 2010

Jungle Trekking

This morning, we woke up, pushed back the curtains and found we were in the middle of a monsoon. We took a risk of traveling to Thailand during it's rainy season, but were very lucky with weather. It only rained once during our entire vacation. That one time was today and lasted a mere 2 hours.

We left for the jungle with Khao Panombenja. We had a fun-filled day visiting the hot springs, Sra Morakat (Emerald Pool), a traditional Thai lunch at the fishery, Wat Tham Suea (Tiger Cave Temple) and the elephant camp where I enjoyed my first elephant ride. What a bumpy ride.

The hot springs were so relaxing - imagine, a natural jacuzzi with running waterfalls. When we arrived at the Emerald Pool, we jumped in and entertained ourselves by taking photos resembling the cover of "Wild Things" and scenes from past Herbal Essence commercials. Ever since Australia, it's a must when I'm in a setting like this. Here, you'll see Emily's perfect pic. Couldn't have been any better than that. After spending the first half of our day in  the water, we rode elephants through the jungle/ lake and although it was fun, that'll probably be my first and last time. I don't fancy slow bumpy rides very much, but the experience was one I'll never forget. I must say, elephants are pretty damn intelligent. Our day ended with one hell of a work out. Initially, 1200+ steps didn't sound like such a feat, but when we got to the Tiger Cave Temple and started our trek to the top, I realized it wasn't going to be so easy. Imagine walking up 1200+ ladder steep steps in 95F and high humidity. I was huffing and puffing, but we finally made it to the top and saw the most beautiful views. Glad I didn't give up!

Overall, the jungle was a blast. It's just as beautiful as the beaches here and an area not to be missed.

No comments: