Tuesday, May 05, 2009

SF Museum Mission: MOMA, Museum of Modern Art


[August 2008]

What: SF MOMA
Who: Me & Caroline E.
Where: 151 Third Street (between Mission and Howard Streets)Cost: $12.50 General Admission, $7 Student (good thing I still have my ID), $5 for Frida Kahlo exhibit

Yesterday I started off my SF museum mission with the MOMA. Why a museum mission? Well, I've been living/working in the SF Bay Area for years and realized that I've only been to a few museums here and MUST see them all. I'm also on this whole educating myself, becoming more worldy, taking in my surroundings, experiencing every bit of SF, not being lazy tip.

So, that brings me back to the MOMA. The featured exhibits were Frida Kahlo, Lee Miller and Contemporary Chinese Art from the Logan Collection. My favorite of the 3 was Frida Kahlo. I knew little about her (I've never experienced a book nor did I see the movie) prior to this visit, but I walked away with a wealth of information and the enthusiasm to learn more about her.

In Frida's lifetime (47 years) she became one of the most influential Mexican painters. The majority of the exhibit included her self portraits and in addition to the paintings were actual photographs of her life and marriage to Diego Rivera.My favorite piece in the exhibit is The Two Fridas. This was done during the time of her first divorce (yes, there was more than 1) to Diego Rivera.

The painting shows two different Fridas. To the right is the Frida that her husband loved and married. She holds a locket with him pictured inside as a young boy. Her heart is still whole. The Frida to the left has a damaged heart and she cuts the line connecting both hearts with a pair of scissors.


If you care to see this exhibit, it will be there til the end of September, I believe. I think I'll netflix Frida now.

No comments: