Tuesday, October 12, 2010

DIY: Decorative Pillows

We recently bought a new couch and to add a few splashes of color, I thought it'd be great to have a few decorative pillows. I also love the added comfort of some extra cushions. After spending hours in countless home furnishing stores & websites I realized that these pillows are not cheap. They average at about $30-40 a pillow and I couldn't exactly find a print/ color I loved. Looking at these, I thought how hard could it be to make one - they're just square pieces of fabric. The next day during lunch I walk into Britex, an amazing 4-story fabric store in SF, and I find fabric I like for about $20. A few days later, I head over to my sisters house and she teaches me the basics of how to use her sewing machine and bada boom I have 2 pillow cases. I head over to Ikea, pick up 2 $7 square pillows and there I have it 2 decor pillows for under $30. They're not perfect (my sister laughed at my slightly crooked seams, but they work for me and are great for my first sewing project. Can't wait to make a few more for this couch and the other one in our den.

1 comment:

angelique said...

OMG mel...I've been dying to make my own pillows. They are totally overpriced aren't they? First step...basic sewing lessons are definitely needed!