Monday, January 18, 2010

Nick's Crispy Tacos

#10 Baja Style Fish Tacos at Nick's Crispy Tacos
Russian Hill - 1500 Broadway
7x7 The Big Eat SF 2009: 100 Things to Try Before You Die


Walking into this dimly lit and chandelier filled restaurant, I first thought, "Oh great, another overpriced taco spot." After approaching the menu on the wall a few seconds later, I realized I was wrong. Everything is well below $10 and for about $14 total, we were both full.

If I lived down the street from this place, I would gain a good amount of weight because I'd likely dine here 3-4 times a week. The Pescado, baja style fish tacos "Nick's Way," are so far, the best thing on the 7x7 list. The fish is deep fried in batter than placed in a semi-crispy tortilla with cabbage, some type of sauce and topped with guacamole and a squeeze of lime. I was even surprised to find Elote (grilled corn on the cob with butter, fresh grated cheese and chili powder) on the menu. Ever since I first tried Elote at Cafe Habana in NY, I've been searching long and hard for a place in the Bay Area to fulfill that craving. So glad to have found it here!

I seriously left my heart at Nick's Crispy Tacos. I walked out that door immediately feeling withdrawals. During my meal, I almost bought more tacos even though I was already stuffed. Another plus about this place, it's connected to a bar/ nightclub (was once called Rouge, not sure if it still is) so once you're done ordering your food, you can take your number to your table and grab a cocktail or beer while you're waiting and check out whatevers showing on one of the flat screens.

Verdict: Soooooo good. I'm dying to go back - NOW.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yum...those tacos look delicious!!!