Tuesday, January 12, 2010

East Bay Love

The East Bay is very underrated. Not only does it get the best weather in the Bay, it's filled with a wide variety of independent restaurants, clothing shops, cafes, bookstores and more. Although San Francisco is where my heart is, I never hesitate to explore another area in search of new favorites. Here are a few new faves I stumbled upon recently...

BLUE BOTTLE COFFEE - Oakland
*certified organic, fresh - only sells coffee that's been roasted within the last 48 hours

Before I discuss the details, I have to mention that I totally goofed. Blue Bottle Coffee is on the 7x7 list and I completely forgot to order the Gibraltar! Instead, Craig & I ordered a cappuccino, drip coffee du jour, a saffron snickerdoodle & a rosemary pine nut shortbread. My cappucino was just right and the cookies were delicious. I was so intrigued by the weird combination of flavors that I couldn't leave without trying one. Good thing I enjoyed my first visit to the Oakland location, now I can return to the SF ferry building and check #28 off my 7x7 list and order the right item next time.

P.S. The cookies are only $1 each.




CAFE PLATANO - Berkeley
*Salvadoran cuisine

Talk about great lunch & happy hour deals (8.95 for 2 pupusas, beans, sour cream & plantains - $3 sangria/ wine/ beers)! During my meal here I began planning what I would order during my next visit - that's how you know I loved it. Pupusas make the perfect lunch. We each had 2 different types with stuffing ranging from pork to cheese & black beans. The avocado salad is soooo good - the dressing definitely makes it. We spent several minutes trying to figure out what ingredients were used (we do this a lot - I think we watch too many food shows). I can't wait to come back.


In addition to these locations, I found a new favorite clothing store (plus a few really great thrift/ vintage stores) and although I normally spread fashion news like wildfires, I've decided to keep my mouth shut on this one. Try and explore - you'll be amazed at the hidden treasures lurking around in your own backyard.

No comments: