Sunday, October 18, 2009

SF Nike Women's Full & Half Marathon

More than 20,000 women (and a few hundred men) raced to complete a full/half marathon in San Francisco on Sunday, October 18. It was my 2nd year in a row and I had a great time running for my life to beat last year's time & to benefit Leukemia & Lymphoma.

The course was scenic but extremely hilly - beautiful yet very tough.

"The race kicks off in Downtown San Francisco at Union Square and heads through the financial district past the famous TransAmerica building. It then proceeds along the San Francisco Bay past Fisherman's Wharf, Aquatic Park, Ghirardelli Square, Fort Mason and Marina Green while revealing breathtaking views of Alcatraz and The Golden Gate Bridge. The course then weaves through the Presidio and Sea Cliff districts, out to the Great Highway, through Golden Gate Park and south around Lake Merced, finishing just north of the Great Highway along the Pacific Ocean."

Along the route were stations for gatorade, water, Luna bars, Luna Moons, bananas, oranges, first-aid and entertainment spots that featured choirs, cheerleaders, bands & bagpipe players.
Some runners stopped for a photo op at each location/ entertainment area, but I decided to keep on trucking straight through to the finish to achieve my goal - and I did! I ran through the finish line beating last year's time by 20+ minutes. Then, I proceeded to pick up my Tiffany's necklace from one of the firemen dressed in Tuxes in addition to the finisher food & Nike DriFit Tee. Oh the lovely perks!

To reward ourselves, we headed over to Hard Knox Cafe to indulge in a southern homestyle meal. Mine consisted of fried chicken, collard greens, potato salad & corn bread. What a great way to end a 13.1 mile run!

This week, I'm focusing on vegetating, eating lots of ANYTHING & spending LOTS of time indoors :)


No comments: