Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Orzo Pasta with Bacon & Aspargus


This recipe was found in a booklet/magazine entitled Easy Recipes (or was it Easy Pasta Recipes). You know, the ones you see when you're in line at the grocery store. Anyhow, after making this for the 2nd time in one week I can assure you that it is, in fact, easy and good.

My apologies for the photo - it doesn't do the dish justice and we were thinking more about solving our hunger problem than we were about presentation.

RECIPE:

2 oz (1/2 cup) shredded fresh asiago or parmesan cheese
1/4 cup sliced roasted red bell peppers (from jar)
8 oz fresh aspargus spears, trimmed into 1" pieces
6 1/2 oz (1 cup) uncooked orzo pasta
6 slices of bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 (14oz) can fat-free chicken broth w/ 1/3 less sodium

  1. Cook bacon in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Reserve bacon & 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings in skillet - add broth. Bring to a boil, add orzo & reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 5 minutes.
  2. Add aspargus & roasted peppers. Cover & cook an additional 5-10 minutes or until orzo & aspargus are tender, stirring occasionally. Spring individual servings with cheese.
Yields 4 servings
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes

*You can serve it with anything. I served it with baked salmon (courtesy of the bf) the first time & the second time we had it by itself. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm loving your culinary adventures...I wish I was a bit more ambitious and motivated in the kitchen...I was just telling someone about this the other day! Hmm...you make me more inspired chica!

MELI.MEL. said...

I figure - I'm going to need to be able to feed kids one day haha. Better start learning how to feed myself now :)