Thursday, September 15, 2011

Soul Train's 40th Anniversary

While spending some time at Millenium Park taking pictures at the Cloud Gate (aka The Bean), we couldn't help but notice an enormous crowd of people in one area equipped with a DJ blasting jams from earlier time periods. Our initial thought was that crowds were likely surrounding street performers, but when we walked through the crowd it was actually a massive dance party in celebration of Soul Train's 40th anniversary.

I spent a few minutes as a spectator and the music put me right into my happy place - so much that I had to join the diverse crowd which, btw, was filled with people of all ages. Not only did we join forces to create the biggest Soul Train line in history, we even danced the electric slide as a group also. This is probably the closest I'll ever get to my dream of being part of a flash mob so I had a blast and enjoyed every single moment. 





Later that evening, we attended a free concert at Jay Pritzker Pavillion for the same celebration. We stood among the people of Chicago, visitors, performers like the Chi-Lites and Impressions - even Don Cornelius made an appearance and said a few words. We really just stumbled on both of these events and it was such a nice surprise.



No comments: