Monday, May 17, 2010

Coach Sushi




Directly across the street from Lake Merritt in Oakland is Coach Sushi. This place is unlike any japanese restaurant I've ever been to. It's small, family owned, offers great service and is ALWAYS packed.

When friends began telling me about this place, I didn't believe them. Well, I did, but I thought they were exaggerating. Turns out, everything that was said are facts. The sushi is decent - I was definitely satisfied with my Coach, salmon skin & spicy tuna rolls. But, let's forget about the sushi for a minute because although this is a japanese restaurant, the crowd pleaser is not the sushi. What I think keeps people coming back to Coach Sushi is the masu sake (think bottomless room temperature sake poured into a small square box) and Coach's facial expressions (or lack thereof) as he splashes more sake into your box when you've only taken a sip out of it since he's last filled it up. Did I mention this is only $3.50?

Honestly, it's a cute little restaurant with an owner who truly loves his customers. It's hard to hate a place like this. I'm going back again this Friday! Perfect place to bring out of towners for a little sake-filled fun. I love this place. If you can't have fun here - there's a problem.

P.S. Avoid the long wait and make a reservation!

No comments: