Wednesday, March 03, 2010

If I could change one thing...

With my annual review and planning for development meeting coming up next week, I'm left with papers in hand, thoughts in head and career/ academic regrets slowly surfacing. Yes, major much needed reflecting going on. While rustling through my written (or typed) self-assessment and notes on past meetings, I also realized I haven't updated my resume in awhile - hell, I can't even find it.

Guess that's what happens when you've been working for the same company for almost 5 years.

Since I'm doing all of this other written work and personal/ career reflecting, I figured, might as well create a new resume. You never know when you'll lose your job or when a new opportunity comes knocking. I'm a little rusty in this department so if you have any tips & tricks, I'm open to suggestions.

Anyhow, I like to think of myself as someone who embraces the present and does everything I can today so that I don't have any regrets tomorrow. Turns out, I'm human. Here are a few tips for the relevant readers:
  • Never graduate from college without interning/ gaining work experience at companies where you can see yourself working post-graduation. The earlier you start, the better.
  • Gain leadership skills by joining on-campus organizations
  • Study abroad
  • Volunteer
  • Do your best and get a GPA high enough to post on your resume (3.5 and above). Companies look at this when they're hiring recent graduates.
  • Never stay at one place for too long if you're not moving/ learning

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are SO on the same wavelength!! I have an interview next week in LA and I'm totally nervous about it so wish me luck. Your tips are spot on...and I wish I knew that when I was in college too. Change is good...and your review is going to be stellar because you're such a star! Good Luck!!