Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The way I see it...

[Travel Expenses]

You don't have to have loads of money to travel. I'm 26 years old, I have a full-time job, I love to shop and go out - I'm your average young professional. Each year, I like to go on at least 1 international trip and 1 domestic trip, if possible. Over the last 3 years, I've been successful at keeping that promise to myself.

My parents think I either have a ton of money or I'm completely broke. I can see that. However, I'm not a glamorous traveler. I don't stay at 4-5 star hotels (unless it's free), I don't eat at Michelin rated restaurants (unless it's free), I don't shop at designer stores and try to find the best products my money can buy just because I'm on vacation. In a nutshell, I like to see what the country/city/state has to offer, meet the people that inhabit the area & eat the food that they eat, all while maximizing the use of my camera.

I stay at friend's places, I have found that hostels are an amazing experience (especially when it's $25 and under) , I spend hours doing research on the best deals, I travel, but I don't spend my savings on it. I love to splurge on what will make for a great adventure, but save on the big things.

You need money to travel, but you don't always need a ton to get by. Don't let your past assumptions of what it costs to go on vacation keep you from an experience of a lifetime.

No comments: